When children and youth see violence in their homes, their lives change.
When children witness abuse, they can suffer from anxiety, depression, a loss of self-esteem, emotional trauma, and even a reduced ability to trust. These and other problems can have important and negative affects on the way they perform in school, and their ability to relate to their friends and bond with family members.
Given the prevalence of violence against women, a large number of children, every day and every year, experience the ill affects of witnessing abuse. This is why we run the program Prevention, Education, Advocacy, Counselling and Empowerment (PEACE).
What PEACE in Burns Lake offers
- Individual and group counselling for children and youth
- School based educational activities designed to prevent violence
- Community education on the effects of exposure to domestic violence
Our programs helps children and youth understand their experiences and develop skills and capacities that will enable them to deal with their histories in healthy ways. We help kids to:
- Express feelings in a healthy way
- Understand that they are not responsible for the violence
- Develop a safety plan
- Identify support networks
- Recognize their strengths and increase their self-confidence
- Identify cycles of violence
- Explore myths about violence and violence in the media
- Improve school performance and social skills
- Develop strong conflict resolution skills
Please contact us
For more information on how to get help, please contact us in Burns Lake.