Family Support Worker – Family Connections – CAPC
Location – Burns Lake
Permanent Full Time
The Prince George & District Elizabeth Fry Society is accepting applications for a permanent part-time position for the Community Action Plan Coalition / Fetal Alcohol and Drug Effects Resources (CAP-C FADER) Program. This person will work from a feminist, harm reduction, family centered perspective in order to improve health and development outcomes for children ages 0-6 and to those that are at risk of/ or who are experiencing fetal alcohol and drug related birth effects.
This person must demonstrate the skills and abilities necessary to provide individual and group support work with respect to families who live with FASD and or who have children 0-6. In addition, the successful candidate will have a strong background in early childhood development, good interpersonal communication, both oral and written skills, ability to develop and deliver community workshops, ability to conduct children’s programming, knowledge of issues related to FASD, and have knowledge around the effects of trauma and systemic pressures that marginalize at risk families. Also required is knowledge of community agencies and referral procedures. Computer knowledge, well developed organizational skills, ability to complete statistical reports, capacity to work independently and be a self-starter are required for this position.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Gathers information relevant to the client’s problems, needs and risks by interviewing, observing behaviour, meeting with caregivers and service providers and using a variety of inventories, checklists and questionnaires. Assesses the information gathered to identify client problems, needs and risks. Develops and implements an intervention plan within program guidelines.
2. Provides support, guidance and problem-solving to clients to address issues related to family functioning in an individual or group setting using techniques such as active listening, conflict resolution, basic group counselling techniques and psycho-educational group methods to resolve the identified problems, needs and risks.
3. Participates in the development, modification and evaluation of client service plans with the integrated case management team. Participates in integrated case management meetings on a regular basis to report clients’ activities and progress.
4. Outlines services provided by the program and/or organization. Provides information on and referral to other community service providers, resources and professionals as required.
5. Provides parenting skill building to clients on issues such as parent-child interaction, child development, discipline and guidance, and behaviour management.
6. Provides emotional support and feedback to clients.
7. Plans and conducts group educational sessions on topics related to family functioning.
8. Liaises with and/or promotes the interests of clients with other community service providers, professionals and school personnel as required. Accompanies clients to meetings and appointments as required.
9. Maintains related records and statistics and provides reports to the supervisor.
10. Performs other related duties as required.
Education and Knowledge
Bachelor’s degree in a related human / social service field.
Training and Experience
One (1) year recent related experience. Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
$23.23 – $27.06 (Collective Agreement)
Monday to Friday 9:00am – 4:30pm
Submit cover letter and resume to Tamara Bjorgan,
Women’s Services Manager
in person or by email: email@example.com
Elizabeth Fry Society
PO Box 316
Burns Lake, BC, V0J 1E0
This is a Union position.