Family Support Worker
Location – Burns Lake
This in an MCFD mandated program. The successful candidate will develop, implement and evaluate family based intervention plans, and work closely with MCFD with the primary priority to keep families together where possible. This role has a strong focus on strength-based family systems and attachment-based counselling and support, in order to promote a safe and healthy living environment for the child(ren). With support from the supervisor, the successful candidate will provide clinical observation, assessment and reports. This role requires the successful candidate to work flexible hours. Travel is also a requirement, and will include travelling in winter road conditions. This position requires an ability to work in a stressful environment, often dealing with families working through difficult situations.
Required Education, Training and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Social Work, Child and Youth Care, or a related field
- Qualifications also include one (1) year related experience delivering services specifically to families, children and youth
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good knowledge of related community services and resources
- Excellent knowledge of trauma informed practice, attachment, and positive family functioning
- Good understanding of the current Family Law Act
- Ability to complete family assessments, goal setting and service plans, therapeutic planning and interventions as well as transition planning
- Teach and model parenting skills, problem solving, healthy communication and strategies to enhance family functioning
- Provide strength based family systems and attachment based counselling and support.
- Provide culturally agile services
- Participate in Integrated Case Management meetings relevant to the referred family (ies)
- Facilitate and support the family in attending appointments with MCFD staff and/or other community support services involved for the purpose of addressing need and supporting change
- Support the child, youth and caregiver(s) through transition planning to affect a successful return to the family home
- Provide services which are goal oriented, time limited, and comprehensive
- Superior ability to interact effectively with and support children and family
- Ability to work with or without supervision
- Strong communication, data collection, observation, file notes and written reporting skills
- Ability to obtain and maintain satisfactory criminal record and vulnerable sector search
- You must possess and maintain a valid B.C. Class 5 driver’s licence, with a clear driver’s abstract, and a vehicle in good working condition
$22.01 – $25.65 (collective agreement)
Part-Time Position – 25 hours per week; 50 hours bi-weekly
Monday – Friday; Tuesday – Saturday; Wednesday – Sunday, rotation flex-schedule within the guidelines of the BCGEU current collective agreement
Anticipated Start Date
Submit cover letter and resume to Tamara Bjorgan, Community, Women’s Services Manager, in person or by email: email@example.com.
To deliver cover letter and resume in person:
Women’s Services Manager
Burns Lake Elizabeth Fry Office
347 Hwy 16
Burns Lake, BC
Burns Lake Elizabeth Fry Office
Burns Lake, BC V0J 1E0
This is a Union position.
As per the collective agreement, qualified internal candidates will be considered and interviewed prior to external candidates. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.